- Healthy children and family
- Food on the table, clothes on my back and private transport
- A house with all walls and roof intact
- Running water, electricity and indoor plumbing
- A bed of my own with blankets to keep me warm
- A job to go to from which I get a monthly salary
- Private healthcare
- A computer and internet connection in my home
- Access to education in many different forms through books and internet courses
- Never having had to live in a war zone
- Clean air, access to nature and the beach, hobbies
These are just some of the things that billions of people across the world do not have access to and that many of us simply take for granted as part of our daily lives. Our irritations are when the internet is running to slow for us to watch a Youtube video, or a power failure hits our area or the car needs a service.
We forget that there are people trying to escape the horrors of a place they call home, only to lose their children or their own lives in that escape. Places where children sleep 4 to a bed and even basic medical care would be considered a luxury. Where moms worry if the local school where their children are may get hit in an unexpected attack. Places where children have no books to read and no clothes to keep them warm and no food to fill their empty tummy's.
Let us remember those small things that make our lives comfortable and the abundance for what we have to be grateful for and do what we can to ease the lives of those less fortunate than ourselves. They are not looking for a handout, they are looking for a hand reaching out to help them up.
Appreciate what you have. You never know what tomorrow may bring.